Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The way God wants us to live

This entry goes back a few weeks to my little vacation in Indiana. First off you may ask why Indiana for vacation? Indiana is where I was born and even though I only actually lived there as an infant somehow the place has gotten into my blood. I love to go to that log cabin as much as I do the beach. The rolling surf and the waving corn stalks are about equal for me.
Here is the real reason though - I'm pretty sure, but it is up for debate, that God meant us to live more like they do in Indiana then the busy east coast. I love to drive through the small towns that make up Decatur County. As you drive through small places that have a general store, a gas station, maybe a little resturant, and some ball fields you see something beautiful. Everyone knows each other, grandparents that live a few doors down swim in above ground pools with their grandkids. Farmers walk around talking about the weather and asking each other if they need any help. Houses are nice and simple with a front and a back yard. I don't know, I just love it. I will visit NY city and enjoy it for a day or two but then it feels like the whole place is tottering on choas and I've got to get out. The Indiana way of living is stable and built to last forever. In fact isn't that the way we always used to live: small communites surrounded by farms? I do think it is the way God wants us to live.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely understand your statements and there is so much value to living in the country. However, may I offer another point of view? (You did say it was up for debate, right?)

    There are many merits to city dwelling, too. As someone who was raised outside of New York City, I adore the vibrancy and energy in a city. There are few things I enjoy more than attempting to keep up with my grandmother as she takes Times Square by storm, on her way to a Broadway Show.

    Large cities have been a long staple of human society, too. Nineveh was supposed to have been a large chaotic city, but they were still able to hear God's voice through Jonah. (for example).

    However, my personal experiences in the New York area were not ideal. I knew too many who were cold and indifferent to their neighbors.

    I have tried the country life, but it's not for everyone. I enjoy it for a few days before I go stir-crazy and feel self-conscious because 'everyone knows me.'

    This is why I love Baltimore. What a perfect balance! It has the life and activity of city dwelling, where people-watching leaves you to marvel at God's work and creativity. Yet, people still care for their neighbor and have a few moments to say hello. It’s a place where, when people ask “Where did you go to school?” they don’t mean national university, but which local high school. (And why I love Ellicott City, which is better yet. Here we can even support mom & pop businesses, which I think is very important!)

    So, pardon my long comment. I just felt that, as a child of a city (or busy city suburb), I had to offer the opinion.

    Christine Soon-To-Be Benkoski

    ReplyDelete